In this video, Doug Miller performs romanian deadlifts:
- Place a barbell on the catch rails of a rack approximately 2-3 inches above your knees. (The barbell could be placed on the ground and would have to be picked up from the floor doing a traditional dead lift.)
- Grab the barbell with an overhand grip about shoulder width apart. An opposite underhand grip of one hand could also be an option.
- With a tight grip stand and step one step away from the catch rails.
- Keep feet at shoulder width, retract your shoulder blades slightly (chest up) and tighten up your core. This will flatten out your upper back and place a slight curve in your lower back.
- Start with a little bend in the knees and hips; just like in your start phase of a squatting motion.
- Keep your back flat and start to pivot at the hip joint as you push your hips back. Keep the bar close to your body. Your knees will stay slightly bent but will not continue to bend. You will not be bending at the waist just at the hip joints.
- Continue this motion until you sense that your mid to lower back is going to bend. This is the point you will stop.
- You will feel your upper hamstrings stretch. Contract your hamstrings and glutes as you pull your hips forward to return to your original starting position. (refer to the video once again for review)